All about us
Hugh Wade & Son Funeral Directors is a well known name in Coleraine and the surrounding areas. The Wade family can trace their history back over seven generations.
“Hugh Wade & Son is one of the oldest Funeral Directors in Northern Ireland, serving their local community for over 175 years.”
The business was founded in 1835 when William Wade, owner of The Royal Hotel in Garvagh and also the proud owner of a fine stable of Belgian Black horses, set up the undertakers. In those days Funeral Directors were restricted by both the distance a horse could travel and the size of the population in the district. After William’s death in 1900, his son Hugh carried on both businesses until his death in 1919.
Over time, motor vehicles were slowly introduced into the business. This made it possible to extend the area William could operate, and in 1937, William’s grandson Hugh opened a Funeral Directors in the Waterside area of Coleraine. This is where Hugh, father of the current Hugh Wade started out in business at 17 years of age.
Hugh Wade & Son remained at Waterside until 1956 when premises were acquired at the other end of Coleraine in Railway Road. It was here the firm built its very first funeral home as we know them today.
In May 1962, the Wade business moved to its present address at Upper Abbey Street in Coleraine.
Over the years the firm continued to progress, and in 1967, acquired T.D. Macfarlane, which was situated on Church Street, Coleraine.
Hugh’s daughter’s Charlene and Alison joined the firm in 1992 and 1994 respectively, and later, Hugh’s grandson Christopher.
“Christopher is the seventh generation of the Wade family to join the firm.”
In 175 years, Hugh Wade & Son has developed considerably. Our team continues to provide the finest professional and caring service to families in their time of need and our ethos has remained the same since the early beginnings.